Sunday, April 29, 2012

Getting Connected with the Writing Community

Way back when, when I first ventured into the world of writing, I knew I needed a guide. A mentor, if you will. How did I know this? Well, it's a simple rule of business to surround yourself with like-minded people. And so I went on my quest to find writer friends.

The first place I searched was twitter and google. Lo and behold, I found Mary Lindsey. We live in the same city, both have legal backgrounds, both write paranormal. It was a perfect match! I emailed her right away, she responded right away, and we met for lunch. I can't tell you how much she helped me improve my craft and how she integrated me into the Houston writing community. I am so glad I found her!

Mary introduced me to Jessica Capelle and Iona McAvoy- more up-and-coming Houston writers! Together, the three of us formed the Houston YA/MG group. It was at one of these meetings that I met the amazing Rachel Harris. We hit it off right away and went to DFWCon together. (Along with her amazing hubs =)). She helped me with my pitch, gave me some great advice on my book, and slammed down some beers with me. She is AWESOME, and I am eternally grateful that we have connected! Her insights and advice are INVALUABLE!!

Another amazing person I have recently connected with is Diane Holmes of Pitch University. I sought her out for advice on self-publishing. She introduced me to a few folks who could help me e-pub, and now I am working with the super incredible Alicia Rasley. You may know her from the Editorrent blog. I am loving working with her!!!

So my point here with all this is...GET CONNECTED! STAY CONNECTED! RETURN THE FAVOR! BE OPEN! Writer friends can help you in so many ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment