Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Query Letter Approach

Right Now: Olivia and Jake are at Critter Camp. Olivia didn't want to go today, said there was a bratty girl in her group who uses the word 'like' in every sentence. I was like, are you serious? She was like, yeah.

Listening To: She's a Bad Mama Jama by Carl Carlton (a classic!) I'm feeling like a bad mama jama today...


I had one of my friends ask me why I haven't sent more queries. The answer is simple: I'm sending them very methodically.

First, I've tweaked my manuscript since sending my first query letter. Then, I put a hold on queries altogether while I polished and refined my work. Manuscripts today have to be perfect in this highly competitive market.

Second, I'm doing lots of research, following blogs and twitter, getting a pulse for what agents who represent YA authors are looking for. It's the lawyer in me, doing my research very diligently, and it's paying off.

Third, I'm sending my query to veteran agents and new agents. New agents are actively looking for clients. The agent who requested my partial is a new agent. They're hungry, like me. A new agent is more likely to take on a fresh new author as opposed to a more established agent. But don't get me wrong, I would be thrilled to get an established agent. Really, just any agent who loves my story.

So, with all my ducks in a row, I plug along. I know I'm going to find an agent soon. I can feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment